Habkern - Authentically breathtakingly different!

History

Home Region Habkern History
Send to a friend print PDF
Habkern (Habcheron – from Swiss-German Habch for Habicht meaning hawk) was first officially documented in 1275.
The village lost its self-governing status and so, to a large extent, also its autonomy through King Rudolf of Habsburg. Habkern came into the hands of the Interlaken Monastery through the Eschenbach dynasty. Also during this time, as ”Gotteshausleute” (people living on land donated to the church and under its jurisdiction), the people of Habkern tried to retain as great a degree of independence as possible. This was also partly the result of the difficult route down to the Bödeli (local name for the plain between the Lakes Thun and Brienz).

The one-time affiliation to the parish of Ringgenberg-Goldswil on the other side of the Habkern ridge is worthy of note (possibly the result of territorial allocation by the Romans along their arterial routes).
In 1665, Habkern was given its own priest and a year later its first chapel. Towards the end of the Middle Ages, the autonomous, independent and self-contained nature of the settlement and farming area allowed Habkern to develop into one of the most prosperous communities in Canton Bern. The produce from this self-sufficient mountain-farming village was exported. Cheese, butter, sugar, cattle and later also timber, were highly valued in other areas.

This independence also fashioned the nature and open-minded character of Habkern people. Fables and customs shaped behaviour and attitudes which remain to this day. Evidence points to a pre-Celtic settlement of the Habkern area (approx. 2-4000 BC), from which stem the numerous fables on dwarfs. Melchior Sooder tells us more in his book on Habkern.
Tourismusbüro Habkern
Im Holz
3804 Habkern
Tel. +41 (0)33 843 13 01
Fax +41 (0)33 843 13 01
info@habkern.ch
www.habkern.ch
History Habkern
History Habkern History Habkern
History Habkern