Old Town & Interlaken Castle

Interlaken Monastery & Castle

Interlaken’s former monastery complete with castle and castle church is situated close to the town centre.
The first mention of Interlaken’s Augustinian monastery in an official document dates back to 1133. After the Reformation c. 1525, ownership of the entire monastery complex was transferred to the state of Bern, and the monastery was converted into a hospital. Religious services were held only as of 1841. The bell tower of the former monastery church dates from the early 14th century. The Gothic cloister gallery in the former monastery courtyard with its chapel dating from 1452 are well worth seeing.
Interlaken Tourismus
Marktgasse 1
3800 Interlaken
Tel. +41 (0)33 826 53 00
Fax +41 (0)33 826 53 75
mail@interlakentourism.ch
www.interlaken.ch
Interlaken Castle
Interlaken Monastery Interlaken Castle