Facts & Figures
Municipality of Wilderswil
In terms of access and transport links the idyllic village of Wilderswil is ideally located at the heart of the unique Jungfrau Region, 4 km south of Interlaken, at the entrance to the two River Lütschine valleys (Grindelwald und Lauterbrunnen).
Municipality of Gsteigwiler
The village of Gsteigwiler lies on a sunny terrace at the entrance of the Lütschine valleys, above Wilderswil, at the foot of the Schynige Platte. It nestles among forests, meadows and orchards and the rushing waters of the River Lütschine at 647 m above sea level. Topographically, the lowest point on the territory of the municipality is the village of Gsteig, with its pretty church and vicarage, the Steinbock inn, and the covered wooden bridge over the Lütschine. The highest point, accessible by railway from Wilderswil, is the Schynige Platte at some 2000 m above sea level.
Municipality of Saxeten
The romantic mountain village of Saxeten is located 6 km above Wilderswil. Its attractions include picturesque walks, more challenging hiking tours and, in winter, a romantic toboggan run.
- Wilderswil has a resident population of around 2714 inhabitants.
- Gsteigwiler has 420 inhabitants.
- The mountain village of Saxeten has 100 inhabitants.
- The summer months from June to September and the Christmas/New Year period.
- April/May and September/October, with its wonderful spring and autumn atmosphere.
- From November to March guests benefit from discounted hotel rates. Tnerally there are no stipulations regarding minimum stays or “Saturday arrivals”.
Guests staying in Wilderswil, Saxeten and Gsteigwiler are liable to a resort tax. After filling out the registration form they receive the Jungfrau Region Guest Card, which entitles them to various discounts. Full details can be found in the Jungfrau Magazin or at the Tourist Information office.
Wilderswil, Saxeten, Gsteigwiler resort tax rates
The rates for the resort tax and cantonal accommodation tax per adult per night are as follows:
- CHF 2.50 for adults in summer (1.4.-31.10.)
- CHF 2.20 for adults in winter (1.11.-31.3.)
- The resort tax does not apply to
children aged 0 – 16
Details of resort tax excl. Cantonal tax CHF 1.00.
The resort tax helps to finance the tourism offer. Paying the resort tax entitles the visitor to obtain a Guest Card, which in turn offers a range of discounts.
Number of beds in Wilderswil:
- 600 hotel beds
- 200 beds in holiday apartments
- 1 campsite
Number of beds in Gsteigwiler:
- 80 hotel beds
- 15 beds in holiday apartments
- 103 beds in group accommodation
Number of beds in Saxeten:
- 24 hotel beds
- 50 beds in holiday apartments
- 44 beds in group accommodation
Total of approx. 155,000 overnight stays per year
Switzerland, Germany, Great Britain, Benelux, France and overseas
- 2 football pitches
- Indoor tennis court
- Squash and Badminton courts
- Vita-Parcours Fitness Trail
- Hiking trails and walks around the village
- 3 themed trails
- 1 meditation trail
- Historical ruins
- Alte Mühle village museum