Goldswil church ruins

Home Goldswil church ruins
Send to a friend print PDF
The Romanesque church of St. Peter’s was built in the 11th century and is considered to be one of the region’s first. It is presumed to have been built under supervision from a monk from the monastery at Interlaken with knowledge of architecture.
The church community originally comprised the villages of Ringgenberg, Goldswil, Niederried, Unterseen and Habkern. As it was in danger of collapsing the church was no longer used after 1670. Only the foundation course and tower have been preserved to this day. The grounds still provide the cemetery for the village of Goldswil. After their restoration in 2015/16, the ruins and tower once again fulfil their traditional role as a strikingly visible landmark.
Tourist Information
Hauptstrasse 170
3852 Ringgenberg BE
Tel. +41 (0)33 822 33 88
Fax +41 (0)33 823 33 08
mail@ringgenberg-goldswil.ch
www.ringgenberg-goldswil.ch

Further information

Goldswil church ruins
Goldswil church ruins Goldswil church ruins