The centrepiece of the Firstbahn is the six-seater Gondola Cable Car, which runs from Grindelwald via Bort and Schreckfeld to First. The gondola trip takes around 25 minutes. While you float through the air in the gondola, an enchanting panorama opens up before you.
Take the gondola towards First, in the heart of the Bernese Alps. On the sunny side of the Grindelwald valley, the gondola lift runs from the glacier village of Grindelwald towards First, at 2168 m above sea level. During the 25-minute ride you’re guaranteed a breathtaking view of the mountain landscape. Sit back and enjoy the ride, but the journey ends all too soon. Once at the top, Berghaus First awaits with its culinary delights and a terrace with views of the upper Grindelwald glacier, the Wetterhorn, the Schreckhorn, the Kleine Scheidegg, the Männlichen and Grindelwald. The Firstbahn runs daily from the end of November to the end of October. Details of the operating times can be found in the general information on the Firstbahn.
Your highlights at a glance
- Short 25-minute ride from Grindelwald to First
- Stunning panoramic mountain view
- Make your way to the cable car station by train or car
- Open from November to October
To ensure that your trip is perfect in every way, please note
Personal tip“On the sunny side of Grindelwald valley, the cable car took us from the glacier village of Grindelwald to First at 2168 m above sea level. The panoramic mountain view was out of this world.”
- Inform yourself in advance about the railway’s operating hours
- Plan your arrival
- Check the timetable and connections in advance
- Bring appropriate equipment and clothing for your activity