The Historic House Trail takes you through narrow alleys past venerable buildings. Stroll past historic houses dating back to the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries. You will marvel at the façades decorated with artistic woodcarvings.
Bönigen’s village centre consists of impressive wooden houses dating back to the period between the 16th and 18th centuries. This oldest part of the village of Bönigen is of national importance. Here you will find buildings, built closely together, from various periods - all decorated with elaborate woodcarvings. Take a walk around the village and discover customs and traditions. On this trail, you will marvel at historic buildings such as the “Housihuus” from 1757. The “Housihuus” was the first inn in Bönigen in which King Friedrich of Württemberg stayed in 1808. Then you walk past the “Christi’s Spycher” from 1746: a cheese store that is still used today. The gable bears an inscription and features beautiful frieze carvings. The tour ends at the “Alte Pinte” village museum which dates back to 1772. The museum gives you a look at a typical Bernese Oberland chalet with a country kitchen and rooms with furnishings and everyday objects from the time between 1730 and 1920.
Your highlights at a glance
- Discovery tour in the oldest part of the village of Bönigen
- Old buildings with fascinating wooden carvings
- Wonderful trip round the village with its narrow, winding alleys
- Visit the “Alte Pinte” village museum and gain an insight into times gone by
- Guided tour of the village on request
To ensure that your trip is perfect in every way
Personal tip“I immediately felt a sense of nostalgia as I walked through the narrow alleys in the old part of the village. The decorations, the flowers and the wooden carvings are genuine eye-catchers.”
- A walk around the village takes an hour at most
- A plan of the village with the Historic House Trail is available from the Tourist Information Office in Bönigen-Iseltwald
- Plan plenty of time and check the opening times of the exhibition in the museum
- The trail is also suitable for prams and pushchairs