In only half an hour, the funicular takes you to the top of the pyramid-shaped Niesen. Once you reach the summit, it’s enjoyment time. The Niesen Kulm offers wonderful views of Lake Thun and the peaks of the Bernese Oberland.
The Niesenbahn runs daily from mid-April to early November on the pyramid-shaped Niesen. A 15-minute journey on the nostalgic funicular railway takes you from the lower station in Mülenen to the middle station in Schwandegg. The journey from the middle to the summit, Niesen Kulm, takes a further 15 minutes. The red Niesenbahn train is pleasantly quiet as it climbs the mountain and, as you climb, the views of the surrounding Alps and Lake Thun become ever more beautiful. If you would like to hear some interesting stories on the trip, the ascent on the “Gschichtefahrt” (story trip) offers you the opportunity to find out more about the wildlife on the Niesen. There is also a “Gschichtefahrt” for children, with stories about the magical millstone and the fox who lives on the Niesen.
Set alongside the funicular is the longest stairway in the world, with 11'674 steps, which is the location of the famous annual Niesen stair run. Hikers have the option of buying a hiking ticket, which lets you hike part of the way on foot and take the funicular for the rest of the way.
Your highlights at a glance
- A 30-minute trip to the summit with a 360-degree panorama at 2362 m above sea level
- Easy and quick to get to by public transport
- Large car park at the lower station in Mülenen
- Pleasantly quiet railway journey
To ensure that your trip is perfect in every way, please note
Personal tip“The trip on the nostalgic funicular railway is an unforgettable experience. As you travel up, you get more and more excited about reaching the peak!”
- Plan your journey to the lower station in Mülenen by train or private vehicle
- Inform yourself in advance about the Niesenbahn’s operating hours
- Ensure that you know the time of the last descent if you are not staying at the mountain lodge
- Be sure to pack sunscreen and sunglasses