The ruins at Schadenburg are a rectangular stone structure, located above the village of Ringgenberg on the stretch of road connecting Ringgenberg and Niederried. Take a short stroll through the woods and explore the castle ruins.
From the road, the woodland ruins are a ten-minute walk. Here you enter a medieval world of myth and legend. The story goes something like this: Back in the 13th century, the baron Kuno von Brienz wanted to build a dungeon. But the baron fell victim to a revenge attack and so the project was never completed. Others suspect that the castle was to be used for watching the trade route between Interlaken and Brienz.
Your highlights at a glance
- Admire the ruins of the medieval castle
- Delve into a world of myth and legend above Ringgenberg
- Combine your visit to the ruins with a walk through the woods
To ensure that your trip is perfect in every way, please note
Personal tip“I like this place best in bad weather. Walking through the fairy wood in that magical atmosphere is just fantastic."
- Dress appropriately for the weather
- You can get there by car or bus; make a note of the PostBus timetables
- Entry to the ruins is free