The gunpowder tower can already be seen from a distance. Climb up the stone staircase to Strättligburg to enjoy the view over the deep-blue waters of Lake Thun. Not only that: The tower and courtyard make unusual venues for special occasions and are available for hire.
The medieval ruins above Gwatt date from the 13th century and are all that’s left of the ancestral seat of the Barons of Strättligen. After the castle was destroyed, a gunpowder tower was built in 1699. Take a walk to the historic ruins and the imposing tower to enjoy the view over Lake Thun. Strättligburg is one of the most unusual events venues in Thun, and the tower and courtyard with covered fire pit can be hired for a special occasion.
Your highlights at a glance
- Walk to the ruins of the medieval castle
- Hire the tower and courtyard with covered fire pit for a special occasion
- View to the impressive tower and over the deep-blue waters of Lake Thun
To ensure that your trip is perfect in every way, please note
Personal tip“While walking the pilgrim’s path, we chanced upon this wonderful castle and decided to stop there. It’s the perfect spot for a picnic and a quick breather.”
- Plan your journey by car or bus
- For special occasions, book the castle well in advance
- Stair access to Strättligburg