Brienz has a long tradition of woodcarving, a craft that shaped the village in the 19th century. Admire the collection of artwork from different eras. The museum has a wide variety of traditional and culturally significant woodcarvings from the region.
The Swiss Woodcarving Museum in Brienz is the first museum dedicated solely to the art of woodcarving. Numerous works by sculptors from various eras have been exhibited in the listed Jobin factory building since 2009. Discover the history of woodcarving in Brienz and admire the detailed figures, filigree ornaments and lifelike animal sculptures. Each year a different special exhibition can be visited alongside the permanent exhibition.
Your highlights at a glance
- Interesting special exhibition
- Different sculptures from various eras
- Learn more about the tradition of woodcarving in Brienz
To ensure that your trip is perfect in every way, please note
Personal tip “I was fascinated by the detailed woodcarvings. I can't believe how long the artist must have worked on the bear’s fur.”
- Check museum opening times
- Combine your visit with a walk along Lake Brienz
- Find out about the annual special exhibitions