Get ready to be enchanted by the charm of the town of Thun with its wooden bridges and locks. The medieval old town is dominated by the magnificent castle. Stroll along the two levels of the extraordinary raised pavements in the Obere Hauptgasse to the Rathausplatz or Mühleplatz.
The Rathausplatz (Town Hall Square) forms Thun’s historical centre and was constructed around 1500. This picturesque square in the heart of the old town hosts a Saturday market selling fresh vegetables, fruit and regional specialities. From the Rathausplatz, turn into Obere Hauptgasse with its famous raised pavements. Visit the family-run shops, restaurants and bars on two levels and take a break at the Mühleplatz. The “Mühli”, as the square is affectionately referred to by the townsfolk, is a great place to relax on the banks of the River Aare. In spring, Thun’s bridges are decorated with colourful flowers. Cross the wooden bridges at the one of the two locks, Mühleschleuse or Scherzligschleuse, and watch the surfers riding the river’s waves.
Your highlights at a glance
- Medieval Thun Old Town
- Famous raised pavements on the Obere Hauptgasse
- Rathausplatz (Town Hall Square), constructed around 1500, with views of Thun Castle
- Surfing at the two river locks
- Inviting restaurants and bars on the Mühleplatz
To ensure that your trip is perfect in every way, please note
Personal tip“I like to end my evening at Thun’s Mühli. I can’t think of anything nicer than a cool drink on a warm evening at the Mühli.”
- Saturday market on Rathausplatz
- From spring to autumn, admire the beautiful flowers in the Old Town
- In December, marvel at the atmospheric Christmas decorations in Thun Old Town
- Check the opening times of the shops, restaurants and bars
- Book a guided tour and learn more about Thun Old Town