Ringgenberg - Goldswil - Niederried - Typical regional chalet villages at the shores of Lake Brienz


When the knight Kuno of Brienz was appointed bailiff of the lake Brienz region by the German king in 1230, he had Ringgenberg castle built. Rinkenwyl village then received its present name Ringgenberg.
Ringgenberg castle was inhabited from 1240 until 1380. The Ringgenberg family enjoyed its finest era with Johannes (1291 to 1350), a skillful politician who claimed to have kept his independence during the unsettled times of the regime. He is known historically as a famous minstrel. His works are now preserved in the Manesse manuscript in Heidelberg.