Mountain railway rich in variety and nostalgia
The 19th century Schynige Platte Railway promises an evocative travel experience. The journey starts from Wilderswil station, which you can reach by taking the Bernese Oberland Railway from Interlaken Ost or by private car (parking available behind the station). You are then ready to start your nostalgic trip to the natural paradise of the Schynige Platte. Recall bygone days as you sit back in comfort for the 7 km ride up the Schynige Platte. Savour breathtaking view across Lake Thun and the majestic mountains beyond as the rack-and-pinion railway chugs comfortably up the mountain, passing through alpine pastures and areas of dense forest. You reach the Schynige Platte in 53 minutes.
Nostalgic mountain rideExperience sheer nostalgia on a railway that still uses electric locomotives dating from the early industrial days. There are no electronic signals at all on the route; trains are personally waved off by railway managers, with all points operated by hand.
Feel like breathing fresh mountain air with a trip to the Schynige Platte? Every day from the end of May to the end of October, the Schynige Platte-Bahn runs from Wilderswil station every 40 minutes. The last descent from the Schynige Platte leaves at 17.53h.
Your highlights at a glance
- Nostalgic journey on a 19th century railway
- Rest and relax on the comfortable mountain ascent
- Breathtaking views of lakes and mountains
- Deep green forests, meadows filled with alpine flowers
To ensure that your trip is perfect in every way, please note
- Operates from July to the end of October (timetable)
- Daily trips every 40 minutes from Wilderswil station
- Journey time 53 minutes
- Check timetable and times of the last descent
- Reach Wilderswil station via the Bernese Oberland Railway, local bus or private car
(Please note the current timetable on www.jungfrau.ch/timetable)
Suitable for any weather
Suitable for the Elderly
for Children of all Ages
Suitable for Pushchair
Children Entertainment Corner (indoors)
Children's Playground (outdoors)
Handicapped accessible WC