First – Waldspitz – Bort (No. 51)
- start: First, mountain station (2168 m)
- destination: Bort, intermediate station Grindelwald-First cable car (1561 m)
- 9,02 km
- 1 hour 15 minutes
- 160 m
- 2275 m
- 1515 m
- 100 / 100
- 40 / 100
The gondola comfortably takes you from Grindelwald to First. At the top, you have the possibility to rent a sledge, buy missing material in the sports shop, have a toilet break or enjoy a warm drink or meal in the mountain restaurant. Before you get going, you should definitely do the First Cliff Walk, which is located next to the station.
From the mountain station, the first thing to do is to walk up a few hundred metres in direction to Adi's Skibar and further in direction to Bachalpsee. Once you reach the highest point (Gummihütte), you can hop on your sledge for the first time. Now you can feel the cold mountain air on your face, but the fantastic view will make you smile. Towards the Waldspitz there are some flatter passages where you can recover a little on foot. Those who get hungry or thirsty on the way will gladly make a stop at the mountain restaurant Waldspitz.
After refreshment, the route continues through the beautiful forest down to Bort. Once arrived at Bort, you're spoilt for choice, either you take the gondola up to First, visit the mountain hotel and restaurant Bort or take the gondola back to the village. If the snow conditions are good, the toboggan run from Bort via Mühlebach up to Grindelwald is also open.
First - Waldspitz - Bort
The toboggan run runs from First first towards Bachalpsee. Shortly before Bachalpsee, it goes down towards Waldspitz and then on to Bort.
The 10 rules of sledging
- Show consideration for others
- Adapt speed and driving style to ability
- Respect the lane of the vehicle in front
- Overtake with distance
- Look up before entering and approaching the road
- Stop at the edge
- Get on and off at the edge
- Observe signs and markings
- Provide assistance
- In the event of an accident: give personal details
- Sled or toboggan
- Ski helmetday
- hiking backpack (approx. 20 liters) with rain cover
- comfortable and waterproof winter shoes or sturdy hiking boots (if necessary dredges and gaiters)
- hat/headband, scarf
- waterproof glovessun and rain protection
- Provisions and drinking water, thermos bottle with hot drink
- first aid kit
- pocket knife
- Cell phone
- if necessary headlamp and reﬂectors
- Map material
Enjoy the great view from the First Cliff Walk or sail through the air with the First Flyer or Glider
You can use the public parking garages in the center of Grindelwald: Parkhaus Eiger+ (252 parking spaces) and Parkhaus Sportzentrum (160 parking spaces), as well as an uncovered parking spaces at the bottom station of First and Pfingstegg.
Alternatively Parking area Grindelwald Grund
Thanks to its central location in Europe, Switzerland is served by international trains from over 12 countries. Within Switzerland, Intercity trains run directly from Basel and Lucerne to the Jungfrau Region. Travellers from Zurich have to change in Berne. The trains run every half hour.
This tour is presented by: Jungfrau Region Tourismus AG