Mürren - Rotstockhütte Loop
- start: Mürren station (Schilthorn cableways / Schilthornbahn)
- destination: Mürren station (Schilthorn cableways / Schilthornbahn)
- 15,27 km
- 3 hours
- 968 m
- 2155 m
- 1259 m
- 60 / 100
- 60 / 100
After many years of mountain biking in the Alps, every trail is discovered, especially with the internet at our finger tips. Discovering these secret trails is a near impossible! You are mistaken! In Mürren you can still discover thesehidden gems.
From Mürren, the asphalt road runs behind the Schilthorn Gondola station to Gimmelwald. The road quickly rises quite steeply. From Gimmelwald the natural road to Schiltalp begins, where the official bike trail ends. Before the 30 minutes passage to Wasenegg begins, the hiking trail leads to the river Schiltbach.
When you arrive on the ridge, a wooden bench and an unbelievable panoramic view will entice you to stay. The fun single trail continues along the slope towards the Rotstock hut. There, you canstop for refreshments and sample the local snacks on offer. Homemade cakes provide the necessary energy for the upcoming descent. Rock slabs, stepped passages, meadows and woods alternate constantly.
Mürren - Schiltalp - Wasenegg - Rotstockhütte - Sefinental - Gimmelwald - Mürren
- Wearing gloves, helmet and MTB/Bike protective gear is recommended.
- Use only the marked paths and roads. Always follow the signs.
- Always close gates and pasture fences behind you.
- Respect hikers, plants and animals
- Hikers always have priority
- Assess your own abilities and your physical condition carefully before riding
- Use of the unmarked routes are at your own risk.
- Mountain bike (well maintained)
- Repair kit
- First aid kit
- Helmet, gloves and bike bell
- Proper attire for the weather condition (It is recommended to always check the weather conditions the day prior to riding. We recommend to always bring a rain jacket)
- Carry adequate supplies of food and water
- Please observe the signs and guidelines for mountain bike riders online as well as on the path
You can extend the tour to Stechelberg. The Gondola will bring you back to Mürren afterwards.
By car: There are different ways to reach the region by car. The fastest way from Basel and Geneva is via Berne. The fastest route from Zurich is through Lucerne and the Brünig Pass. The pass is open in summer and winter.
From the south, the route leads over the Grimsel or Susten Pass into the region. Both passes are only open in summer. Alternatively, you can take the route via Simplon Pass and then use Lötschberg car transport.
In Lauterbrunnen, there is a covered car park, linked with the BLM cable car station. You may also drive to the Schilthornbahn station in Stechelberg where you will find a large number of parking spaces.
The Lauterbrunnen car park is located at the outskirts of the village, just before the train station. Parking spaces can be reserved for a minimum of 5 days (winter) online.
Thanks to its central location in Europe, Switzerland is served by international trains from over 12 countries. Within Switzerland, Intercity trains run directly from Basel and Lucerne to the Jungfrau Region. Travellers from Zurich have to change in Berne. The trains run every half hour.
This tour is presented by: Jungfrau Region Tourismus AG