Ruins at Schadenburg – impressive castle ruins
Explore the medieval building and enter a world of myth and legend
From the road, the woodland ruins are a ten-minute walk. Here you enter a medieval world of myth and legend. The story goes something like this: Back in the 13th century, the baron Kuno von Brienz wanted to build a dungeon. But the baron fell victim to a revenge attack and so the project was never completed. Others suspect that the castle was to be used for watching the trade route between Interlaken and Brienz.
Your highlights at a glance
- Admire the ruins of the medieval castle
- Delve into a world of myth and legend above Ringgenberg
- Combine your visit to the ruins with a walk through the woods
To ensure that your trip is perfect in every way, please note
- Dress appropriately for the weather
- You can get there by car or bus; make a note of the PostBus timetables
- Entry to the ruins is free
“I like this place best in bad weather. Walking through the fairy wood in that magical atmosphere is just fantastic."