Thun solar boat – powered by solar energy
Discover Lake Thun powered by the energy of the sun
Silent, soothing and solar are the words that best describe the Thun solar boat. The stainless steel catamaran features an ecological and sustainable drive concept. Harnessing the powerful energy of the sun, the boat traverses deep blue Lake Thun throughout the summer. The solar boat is a demonstration of solar energy that guests can experience for themselves. Looking to make your group excursion a memorable and environmentally sound experience? Book a charter trip on the Thun solar boat. The boat, which accommodates 12 persons, has high safety standards. Although the official berth of the solar boat is the Thun lido, you can choose to begin or end your tour at another location. Please note the charter prices and the additional charges for running light. Contact the operator directly for full details.
Picnics and barbecues aboard the solar boatCombine your solar boat trip with a picnic, aperitif or barbecue. Although the Thun solar boat does not offer catering, there is a barbecue on board and groups can bring their own food. Please note that waste must be cleared up at the end of the trip. When you book a picnic and barbecue package for your group excursion, the charter price includes the grill and the gas.
Public shuttle service for locals and touristsThe Solar Boat Shuttle Service is a project of the town of Thun in partnership with the Thun solar boat. The water-based shuttle service provides an interesting link between the town centre and the parks by Lake Thun. Take advantage of attractive rates on trips between the lido, Hünibach, Schadau Park and Aare quay. The Solar Boat Shuttle Service operates on weekends from June to September, calling at various stops.
Your highlights at a glance
- Travel from A to B in sustainable style, using solar power
- Enjoy an environmentally sound boat ride on Lake Thun
- Public Solar Boat Shuttle Service from June to October Saturday and Sunday
- Charter trips for up to 12 persons available
- Gain insights into the potential of solar technology
To ensure that your trip is perfect in every way, please note
- Shuttle service operates from June to October Saturday and Sunday
- High safety standards on board
- Lifejackets provided for emergencies
- Charter trips can be booked year round
- Picnics and barbecues permitted on charter trips; grill station available on request
"We were impressed by the way the solar boat moved over the water using nothing but the energy of the sun. In complete and soothing silence, we glided over the surface, finding out interesting things about solar technology in the process."