The picturesque castle by Lake Thun
Oberhofen Castle is situated on the banks of Lake Thun. The picturesque castle complex with a keep dating from circa 1200 has a colourful history. The castle gained its present appearance after it was bought by the Neuchâtel-Prussian aristocratic family de Pourtalès in 1844 and converted into a summer residence. A museum devoted to the stories of former residents was established inside the castle in 1954. The absorbing exhibitions are worth a visit, whatever the weather. Tours of the castle and the grounds can also be booked.
Flower-filled groundsWalk between the vibrant blooms and through the conifers, deciduous trees and exotic redwoods of the park; there is even a unique pergola of hornbeams. Discover the gardener’s lodge and the chalet for children of the aristocracy. Today kids can use a play area in the gravel court near the pergola surrounded by lime trees. The castle grounds are a beautifully landscaped English park with stunning views of the Bernese Alps. The mild climate makes this one of the loveliest gardens in the Bernese Oberland.
Historic venue for special occasionsFrom weddings and family celebrations to seminars and company events, dreams come true at Oberhofen Castle. Imagine holding a seminar over the water in the lake turret, or a wedding in the 15th-century castle chapel with the impressive murals. The historic premises of the garden room and dining hall can be rented together with the castle terrace.
Photo opportunity: Oriental smoking loungeThe oriental smoking lounge in the top of the tower promises spectacular views of Lake Thun and the mountains. Pose in the lounge, or capture the superb view on your camera.
Your highlights at a glance
- Magnificent landscaped park and romantic grounds by Lake Thun
- Oriental smoking lounge in the tower
- Destination not dependent on the weather
- Lake turret for individual occasions
To ensure that your trip is perfect in every way, please note
- The castle opens from mid-May to mid-October
- Check the opening times of the museum, restaurant and grounds in advance
- The lakeside path opens from March to mid-December
- Combine your excursion with a boat trip
"I would highly recommend the «Always at your service» exhibition, which is all about fascinating contrasts. From a palatial dining room, the exhibition takes you behind the scenes of the servants’ quarters, giving you an exclusive insight into the lives of castle servants."
- Bad Weather Offer
- Suitable for any weather
- for Groups
- for Class
- Suitable for the Elderly
- for Children of the age of 3-6
- for Children of the age of 6-10
- for Children of the age of 10 upwards
- Children's Playground (outdoors)
- Baby Change
- Handicapped accessible WC