Discover an impressive natural spectacle near Lake Thun
You can reach the entrance to the caves from a path that takes you from the car park and through the forest. Along the way, you’ll cross several bridges over the waterfall as it exits the cave and hear the rushing and dripping of water. The St. Beatus Caves make for one of the most popular day-trip destinations around Lake Thun. So far, roughly 14 km of the extensive cave system has been mapped. It is possible to explore one kilometre of this on your own when you visit.
The pathways through the cave are secure and easily accessible thanks to modern electric lighting. Take a tour of the mighty limestone formations, and be enchanted by the unique shapes and shades on view in the series of grottos. The mountain is filled with stalagmites and stalactites that have taken millions of years to form. To this day, the St. Beatus Caves with their interior gorges,imposing halls and the effervescent waterfalls remain radiating a particular power. As you proceed, 25 information boards in German and English impart useful information on the St. Beatus Caves. Complete your tour with a visit to the caves museum to learn all you need to know about cave exploration.
A natural experience for all agesFor an unforgettable experience of nature, the St. Beatus Caves are well worth a visit. There is even a large playground with a dragon slide for children to enjoy. Amid this stunning natural landscape, the Panorama Restaurant is the ideal place to spend some time, enjoying fine food while gazing at Lake Thun and the breathtaking peaks beyond.
Newly open all year longThe St. Beatus Caves open daily during the summer season (April to October). During winter season (November to March), they open on weekends only. Group events can also be arranged outside of normal opening hours. Find out about a wide range of group packages and events under www.beatushoehlen.swiss.
Your highlights at a glance
- Imposing limestone caves with magnificent grottos, halls and chasms
- Individual tour through a magical world of stone and water
- Eat amid nature and overlooking Lake Thun at the Restaurant STEIN & SEIN
- Exclusive candlelight cave raclette in winter
- Choice of group packages on request
To ensure that your trip is perfect in every way, please note
- Open daily in the summer season from 9.00 am and every saturday and sunday from 10.00 h in the winter season
- Photography and filming is allowed in the caves; tripods are not permitted and must be left at the till
- Warm clothing is recommended with caves temperatures at 8 – 10°C
- Accessible by bus, boat and car
- Parking spaces nearby
- Combination offers for boat journeys
"My personal tour of the caves was an overwhelming experience. The colourful, sparkling stone formations and the sound of the waterfalls were simply magical."
Summer season (April - October): daily from 09.00 to 17.00 (Friday & Saturday until 20.30)
Winter season (November - March): every Saturday from 10.00 to 17.45 h and Sunday, 10.00 to 16.15 h
- Bad Weather Offer
- Suitable for any weather
- for Groups
- for Class
- Pet allowed
- Suitable for the Elderly
- for Children of the age of 3-6
- for Children of the age of 6-10
- for Children of the age of 10 upwards
- Diners Club
- Children's Playground (outdoors)
- Baby Change
- Handicapped accessible WC
Accessibility / Arrival
- Parking available