Gain insights into the history of cave exploration
Want to explore the historical background of St. Beatus caves in more detail? According to legend, this natural wonder, which is millions of years old, provided Saint Beatus with a safe haven after he expelled a fire-breathing dragon which then plunged into Lake Thun with a terrifying roar. In fact, the Beatus caves are known to have been inhabited until the Middle Ages.
Find out the full story by completing your tour with a visit to the caves museum.
Entry to the caves museum is included in the entry price for St. Beatus caves. The museum clearly sets out interesting facts about cave exploration and the history of the cave system. One section of the exhibition is devoted to geology. How are caves actually formed? The museum uses a range of modern presentation techniques to provide answers to this and many other questions on rock formation. A multimedia screen wall provides insights into cave systems in Switzerland and around the world. Interactive activities that engage the senses ensure an active and memorable museum experience that children will love too. There are many animal species in and around the St. Beatus caves. Learn more about those that inhabit the caves and the animals living around the caves.
The content of audio guides is available in German, English and French.
Your highlights at a glance
- Key information on the history of the St. Beatus caves
- Insights into cave exploration
- Interesting facts on geology and wildlife
- Multimedia screen wall showing impressions of cave systems at home and abroad
- Audio guides available in German, English and French
To ensure that your trip is perfect in every way, please note
- Open daily from mid-March to mid-November
- Entry to the caves museum is included in the entry price for St. Beatus caves
- Accessible by bus, boat and car
- Parking spaces nearby
"After touring the caves, I found myself wondering how cave systems actually form – and the caves museum supplied the answer. All I needed to know about caves was set out in a modern and easily understandable display."
Mid-March – mid-November
- Bad Weather Offer
- Suitable for any weather
- for Groups
- for Class
- Pet allowed
- Suitable for the Elderly
- for Children of the age of 3-6
- for Children of the age of 6-10
- for Children of the age of 10 upwards
- American Express
- Diners Club
- Children's Playground (outdoors)
- Baby Change
- Handicapped accessible WC
Accessibility / Arrival
- Parking available