Explore the old monastery site and admire the Gothic cloister gallery
Located in the heart of town, the old Augustinian monastery of Interlaken was first documented in 1133. Following the reformation in around 1525, the entire monastery was acquired by the state of Bern and subsequently converted into a hospital. Today it is the seat of the district administrative office of Interlaken-Oberhasli; the history-steeped buildings also house the registry office for Oberland Ost. The steeple of the former abbey church, dating from the early 14th century, is especially impressive. Visit the Gothic cloister gallery in the old courtyard and the chapel dating from 1452.The extraordinary complex of historic buildings is an architectural gem.
Your highlights at a glance
- Stroll through the grounds to the castle church and Interlaken Castle
- Former Augustinian monastery first documented in 1133
- Castle church features an impressive steeple dating from the 14th century
- Admire the Gothic cloister gallery in the old courtyard
To ensure that your trip is perfect in every way, please note
- Castle grounds open to the public
- Take photos of Interlaken Castle and the castle church
- Relax on a shady bench in the castle grounds
"On a relaxing stroll through the castle grounds, I was impressed by the Gothic cloister gallery in the old courtyard."
Suitable for any weather
Suitable for the Elderly
for Children of all Ages
Suitable for Pushchair