Enjoy an unforgettable journey to Europe’s highest railway station
Your adventure on the Jungfrau Railway starts at Kleine Scheidegg. The journey from Interlaken Ost to Kleine Scheidegg takes around an hour and a quarter. You then board the Jungfrau Railway, which takes you to the Jungfraujoch – Top of Europe – in just 35 minutes, ascending 1400 metres along the way. The route is nine kilometres long, of which seven kilometres are in a tunnel through the Eiger and Mönch mountains. The rack-and-pinion railway stops en route at the midway station of Eismeer, where you can leave the train for five minutes and admire the imposing mountain landscape through a viewing window.
The Jungfrau Railway is considered to be a pioneering mountain railway. The construction of the railway commenced in 1896 and was initially extremely laborious. The construction workers inched their way through the rocks of the mountain range, and from 1899 onwards were able to build one additional station each year. At 3454 m above sea level, the Jungfraujoch terminus was finally opened in 1912. Although eventually successful, the history of the construction of the Jungfrau Railway was beset by blasting accidents, strikes and financial problems. A picture gallery on the “Alpine Sensation” experience illustrates the key stages of the project.
The Jungfrau Railway operates year-round. A day trip to the world-famous Jungfraujoch is a truly unique experience. You are transported to another world and can enjoy the interaction between the panorama, ice, rocks and snow.
Your highlights at a glance
- Excursion to Europe’s highest railway station
- Breathtaking mountain panorama and stunning natural scenery
- Ride through the seven-kilometre tunnel through the middle of the Eiger and Mönch mountains
- Ascend 1400 m in 35 minutes
- Spectacular midway stop at Eismeer station – ideal for a souvenir photo
To ensure that your trip is perfect in every way, please note
- Open 365 days a year
- Two-hour journey time from Interlaken Ost
- Purchase tickets in advance, as dates often become fully booked
- Seat reservations are possible
- Make sure that you allow ample time for the sheer variety of experiences on the Jungfraujoch
The Jungfrau Railway is open year-round.
(Please note the current timetable on www.jungfrau.ch/timetable)
for Children of the age of 10 upwards
for Children of the age of 3-6
for Children of the age of 6-10
Suitable for any weather
Suitable for Pushchair
Suitable for the Elderly
Handicapped accessible WC