Naturally landscaped riverside gardens
Interlaken’s English Garden is a symbol of Interlaken’s history as a tourist and trading centre. The area was once a landing stage for the boatmen of Lake Brienz. Following the fashion pertaining at the time for major towns to lay out English-style gardens, Interlaken, a popular spa town that attracted many British guests, considered such a garden to be a must-have. The local authority therefore initiated the redesign of the gardens in 1929. Almost a hundred years later, the municipality of Interlaken again redesigned the historic garden.
Today, both locals and guests are able to enjoy a naturally landscaped recreation area right in the heart of Interlaken next to the Ostbahnhof railway station. The many benches invite you to stop and stay for a while. The playground is sure to make children’s eyes light up and the public barbecue area is an ideal spot for congenial social get-togethers.
Explore the riverside platform and watch the clear water flow past from the river steps. The ecological upgrading of the site has given fish, insects, birds and bats new habitats. The area in and around the English Garden features natural meadows, driftwood structures, bat dwellings and 23 newly planted native trees. For those who with an interest in history, the ancient weir stones at the former unloading area and the new Aare river steps and the preserved original stone wall at the platform should catch your eye.
Your highlights at a glance
- Naturally landscaped oasis of well-being in the very heart of Interlaken
- Playground and barbecue area with singing litter bin
- Starting point for a wide variety of hikes
- Symbol of Interlaken’s history
- Riverside recreational area
To ensure that your trip is perfect in every way, please note
- The English Garden is located right next to Interlaken Ost railway station
- The park, with its barbecue area and playground, is open to the public
- Bathing in the River Aare is not advisable due to the river's powerful currents
“I was very impressed to find that the stones of the old wall are still visible. It’s the ideal spot to pause for a moment and listen to the sounds of nature.”
- Suitable for any weather
- for Children of all Ages
- Suitable for Pushchair